Published: 24 August 2021. Recipe by: Natalie Thomson.
Hosting for vegans needn’t mean an uninspiring salad or a meat-free burger in a bun. These mushroom tacos are packed with fiery flavour – even seasoned meat-eaters will be desperate to tuck in!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4-6 large portobello mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp chipotle paste
- 1 tin of sweetcorn (160g drained)
- ½ red onion, finely chopped
- 100g cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
- ¼ red cabbage
- 4-5 spring onions
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and stoned
- Juice of 1 lime
- 8-12 small tortillas
What to do:
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, and add the sliced mushrooms. Cook until they start to soften and turn golden.
- Add the chipotle paste with a little seasoning and a splash of water. Continue cooking the mushrooms until the liquid has reduced.
- Once cooked, remove the mushrooms and keep warm. Turn up the heat in the pan and add the sweetcorn, then cook until slightly charred. The kernels may begin to pop, so be careful. Tip into a bowl with the red onion and cherry tomatoes and season well. Set aside.
- Finely slice the cabbage and spring onions, then use a fork to break up the avocado in a bowl with the lime juice and black pepper.
- Use a clean frying pan or griddle pan to warm the tortillas through one at a time for 10-20 seconds.
- To assemble, add some smashed avocado into the centre of each, wrap with some of the chipotle mushrooms, sweetcorn salsa, sliced red cabbage and sliced spring onions. Alternatively, put the ingredients in individual bowls on the table so everyone can build their own tacos.
As a Vitality member, you could get up to 25% cashback on Waitrose & Partners Good Health food when you get active. If you have a second qualifying health insurance or life insurance plan, you could get up to 40% cash- back. A monthly spend cap applies. Excludes beverages. Log in to Member Zone for the details.