Published: 31 August 2021. Recipe by: Natalie Thomson.
A traditional Italian panna cotta calls for luscious cream and often gelatine, but this vegan version uses rich coconut cream and a handy plant-based setting agent. Summer in a pud!
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
- 600ml coconut milk
- 200ml vegan cream
- 6 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 8g agar-agar (vegan gelatine substitute)
- 300g mango, diced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
What to do:
- Heat the coconut milk, vegan cream and 4 tbsp of the sugar in a saucepan. Add in the vanilla bean paste and the agar-agar, bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, then allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Divide the mixture between 4 serving glasses and place in the fridge to set.
- Meanwhile, make the sugar syrup. Heat the remaining 2 tbsp of sugar in a saucepan with 50ml water until it dissolves. Blitz the mango with the sugar syrup and lime juice until completely smooth. Set aside until the panna cotta has set.
- Once the panna cotta is firm, top with a layer of mango puree and sprinkle over the lime zest. Serve either cool from the fridge or at room temperature.
As a Vitality member, you could get up to 25% cashback on Waitrose & Partners Good Health food when you get active. If you have a second qualifying health insurance or life insurance plan, you could get up to 40% cash- back. A monthly spend cap applies. Excludes beverages. Log in to Member Zone for the details.