Chef Rukmini Iyer shares this Spanish-inspired vegan dish. It will serve two people generously, or bring the vegetables to the table whole before ‘carving’ and dressing them alongside a side of grains.
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
- 2 whole aubergines, pricked all over with a fork
- 3 Romano peppers
- 6 large vine tomatoes
- 1 red onion, quartered
- A handful of fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 large cloves of garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 50g whole almonds
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 25g fresh basil, roughly torn or chopped
- Good crusty bread
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- Tip the whole aubergines, red peppers, vine tomatoes, onion, thyme, garlic, olive oil and 1 teaspoon of salt into a large roasting tin, then use your hands to coat everything really well in the oil and salt.
- Transfer to the oven and roast for 1 hour, adding the almonds for the last 10 minutes of cooking time just to toast them.
- Remove the tin from the oven – the veg should be charred all over and very soft when prodded. Take out the garlic and place it in a small bowl, then use the back of a spoon to squeeze out the delicious roasted garlic. In a separate bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, oil and the rest of the salt, then add to the roasted garlic pulp, mixing it all thoroughly to make a smooth dressing. Use a knife and fork to remove the inedible tops and stems, then roughly tear apart the softened vegetables.
- Scatter over the basil and the dressing, then mix together really well. Serve warm with crusty bread.
Recipe extracted from The Green Roasting Tin (£16.99, Square Peg)
If you’re looking to build healthy habits, why not try WW – the new Weight Watchers? Vitality members can get a six month subscription to WW for just £30.