The benefits of running
The right kit is key to success, especially when you start running. Proper running shoes and a correctly fitting sports bra for women are the most important things you’ll need, no matter your ability. Good, technical running gear and accessories can also make the difference between a good run and a great one. Vitality members, can take advantage of our Runner’s Need partnership, which, depending on your plan, can give you up to 50% a pair of running shoes every plan year, and up to 15% off running gear.
For seasonal clothing tips check out our runner’s guide to autumn, winter, spring, and summer to keep you running comfortably, whatever the weather.
General tips for running gear and accessories:
- When it comes to running clothing always select sweat-wicking, quick-drying, and breathable gear to help keep you cool and running comfortably.
- Look for mesh ventilation panels for airflow, seamless construction to avoid nasty rubbing, and UV protection to shield your skin from the sun’s harmful rays.
- Steer clear of anything cotton; not only does it trap the heat but it soaks up sweat keeping the moisture against your skin increasing your chance of chafing.
- Invest in a good pair of technical run socks to keep your feet cool and the moisture away from your skin. Features to look out for are technical and sweat-wicking fabrics, mesh ventilation under your arch, as well as flat seams and a snug fit.
Don’t worry about your technique just yet, start by running in whatever way feels natural to you.
Just make sure you maintain a good posture that allows you to breathe easily:
- Make sure your back is straight and relaxed
- Keep your shoulders down and your head up
Once you’ve started hydrating you can begin to think about your post-run stretching routine and eating a snack. You want to aim for a small snack with a ratio of 4:1 carbohydrate to protein; a good example would be a slice of toast with peanut butter or a protein shake. Eating the right combination of carbohydrates and protein immediately after a run gives your body the fuel it needs to start the repair process to ensure a speedy recovery.
As a Vitality member, you could get up to 50% off a pair of sports shoes with Runners Need. Available with eligible health insurance, life insurance and investments plans. Log in to Member Zone for the details.