This sticky orange and almond polenta bundt cake cake is full of sweet orange and rich almonds; and completely vegan, using vegan wonder-ingredient aquafaba (the water from a can of chickpeas), which is whisked into a stiff meringue to add body and lightness to both the cake and the coconut yoghurt crème.
Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes, plus time to cool Serves: 8
Watch the video
200g of ground almonds
50g of polenta, the yellow quick-cook variety
80g of plain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
100g of aquafaba
100g of caster sugar
100g of olive oil
50g of golden syrup
1 large orange, zested and peeled
100g of non-dairy butter, melted
1 tbsp of marmalade
1 large orange, zested and juiced
80g of aquafaba
40g of caster sugar
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
150g of coconut yoghurt
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/gas mark 5. Grease a bundt tin.
- To make the cake, place the ground almonds, polenta, flour and baking powder in a bowl and mix together. Whisk the aquafaba in a stand mixer until stiff peaks form. Gradually add the caster sugar and continue to whisk until glossy and all the sugar grains have dissolved.
- Cut the zested and peeled orange into quarters (reserve the zest for garnishing). Place the olive oil, golden syrup and quartered orange into a blender and blitz until a smooth paste has formed. Add the melted butter, then add this mixture to the dry ingredients. Fold gently until just combined.
- Fold in the aquafaba meringue then pour the mixture into the greased cake tin. Bake for 35–45 minutes until a skewer inserted comes out clean. If the cake is beginning to brown too much, cover with foil and continue to cook.
- Allow to cool slightly then turn out onto a cooling rack. Mix the marmalade with the zest and juice of the second orange and pour the mixture over the cake.
- To make the yogurt créme, whisk the remaining aquafaba until stiff in a stand mixer. Add the caster sugar and whisk until glossy. Add the xanthan gum and continue whisking until stiff. Whisk the coconut yoghurt in a bowl then fold into the meringue.
- Serve a slice of cake with the yogurt créme and garnish with the reserved orange zest.