We’re dressing up our favourite green fruit with a recipe for healthy avocado fries.
Whether you’re already flying the vegan flag or just want to try a tasty vegan treat, these crispy avocado fries made with panko breadcrumbs and spices are the perfect go-to snack.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 large avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- Calorie-controlled cooking spray
- Tomato salsa, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4. Line a baking tray with baking parchment and keep it ready.
- Place the sliced avocados in a bowl. Add the lime juice and stir gently. Place the flour in another bowl and stir in the salt and pepper.
- Place the flax meal in a third bowl, then add ½ cup water and stir well. Allow this mixture to rest for 5 minutes and stir again. It will turn gooey and resemble the texture of a beaten egg. If it becomes too thick, add a little water to loosen it.
- Place the panko breadcrumbs in another bowl. Stir in the onion powder and smoked paprika.
- Dip the avocado slices in the flour, then the flax meal mixture and finally the panko breadcrumbs. Line up the slices on the baking tray, leaving a 2-inch gap between each, and lightly mist with the cooking spray.
- Bake the avocado slices for 20 minutes until golden brown and serve warm with the tomato salsa