This salad is perfect as a light supper. Avocados contain magnesium, potassium and vitamin B6, which all help to induce sleep.
Prep: 15 minutes
- 3 heads white or red chicory
- 2 red apples
- 1 bunch spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, stoned, peeled and sliced
- 1 x 400g can butterbeans, rinsed and drained
- 120g Roquefort cheese, diced or crumbled
- 60g chopped walnuts
- 1 small bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
For the honey mustard vinaigrette:
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp honey mustard
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Trim the fat bases off the chicory and thinly slice the heads into rounds. Core the apples and cut them into small cubes.
- Mix the chicory, apples, spring onions, avocado, butterbeans, Roquefort, walnuts and parsley in a bowl.
- Make the honey mustard vinaigrette: blend the oil and vinegar with the honey mustard and lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the chicory salad and toss gently together. Serve immediately.
Or you can try this:
- Use diced or sliced pears instead of apples, or even stoned lychees.
- Vary the beans: try kidney beans, flageolets or even some blanched crunchy fine green beans.
- Make this salad more substantial by serving it with chicken.
Recipes extracted from Eat To Sleep (£12.99, Vermillion).