This is a healthier version of the classic Bloody Mary, using beetroot juice as the base. The nutrient-rich juice is earthy and sweet, but be mindful that beetroots have the highest sugar content of any vegetable
You will need:
- Large jug
- 2 tall glasses
- 500ml beetroot juice
- Juice of 2 limes (reserve the juiced halves)
- 1 tsp Tabasco sauce
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp celery salt
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Ice cubes
- Freshly grated horseradish to garnish
- 2 celery sticks to stir
- Mix the lime juice, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauces, and the celery salt together in a large jug, add the beetroot juice and put it in the fridge to cool.
- If you like, rub the juiced lime halves around the rims of the tall glasses, then dip the rims into a saucer containing the salt and freshly ground pepper. Otherwise, simply ﬁll the glasses with ice and top up with the beetroot juice. Add some freshly grated horseradish and serve with a celery stick.
Recipe extracted from Dry: Non-alcoholic Cocktails, Cordials and Clever Concoctions, by Clare Liardet (Bantham Press, RRP £9.99)