Fancy a curry but minus the oil and fat? Try chef Nisha Katona’s delicious veggie curry, ready in 50 minutes.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 35 minutes
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 large bay leaves
- 5cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 2cm chunks
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1/8 tsp chilli powder
- 200g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 small white cabbage, outer leaves removed, cut in half and finely shredded
- 150ml water
- 100g frozen peas
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ tsp sugar
- 1½ tsp coriander powder
- Put the vegetable oil in a large heavy-based pan and set over a medium-high heat. When hot, add the cumin seeds and fry until they turn dark brown and become fragrant, then add the bay leaves and ginger and fry for a further 10 seconds.
- When the bay leaves start to colour, add the potato, ground turmeric and chilli powder and toss until everything is well mixed.
- Turn the heat down to low and add the chopped tomatoes, shredded white cabbage and water and stir until all the spices are mixed well into the cabbage.
- Cover and cook gently for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the frozen peas and garam masala and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes until the cabbage is completely soft and tender.
- Finish with the salt, sugar and coriander powder
Recipe extracted from The Spice Tree: Indian Cooking Made Beautifully Simple by Nisha Katona (£20, Ebury Press)