Bored of the same old salad? Try this delicious pot – peppery watercress and radish combine with smoked mackerel to give you loads of flavour. Beetroot adds a bit of sweetness and is a classic Scandinavian combination with mackerel. Serve with a slice of rye bread, if you like.
- 1 smoked mackerel fillet
- 1 small cooked beetroot, chopped
- 1 spring onion, sliced
- 4 radishes, sliced
- 1 large handful watercress
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp plain yoghurt
- 1 tsp horseradish sauce
- A squeeze of lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Remove the skin from the mackerel, then flake the fish into a sealable container. Add the beetroot, spring onion and radishes, and top with the watercress.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients. Spoon the dressing into a small sealable jar or pot. Seal the container and pack the dressing to take with you.
Smoked mackerel and other oily fish are the best sources of omega-3 fats, which are so important for good mood, joints and skin. We’re advised to eat three portions a week, so you could double up this recipe and store the second pot in the fridge to eat in a day or two.
This recipe is extracted from Packed by Becky Alexander and Michelle Lake (Nourish Books, £12.99). Photography: Haarala Hamilton