“Using ricotta in these pancakes adds a lovely texture and enhanced savoury flavour. The homemade chocolate hazelnut spread is delicious and a handy one to have on hand for a sweet treat,” says Chantelle Nicholson.
- 200g ricotta
- 40g flour
- 2 eggs, separated
- 50ml milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tsp butter
Chocolate and hazelnut spread
- 50g whole hazelnuts, toasted
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp agave nectar
- 50ml water
- 1 punnet strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- To begin, make the chocolate spread. Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, adjusting the sweetness with a little more agave, if necessary.
- For the compote, mix the strawberries with the lime zest and juice and set aside while you make the pancakes.
- For the pancakes, mix the ricotta, flour, egg yolk, milk and salt together in a mixing bowl until smooth. Beat the egg whites in a separate bowl until fluffy, then carefully fold into the batter.
- Heat the butter in a non-stick frying pan and drop in small spoonfuls of the pancake mix into the pan. Cook until golden on the underside, then flip over and cook the remaining side.
- To serve, place a pancake on each plate and spread on the chocolate mixture. Top with the strawberries, then repeat the process with another pancake, layer of chocolate spread and top with more strawberries. Grate over a little extra lime zest to garnish, if desired.
Recipe by Chantelle Nicholson, courtesy of greatbritishchefs.com