Get your sweet fix thanks to our do-it-yourself toffee apple station with date caramel sauce and four healthier toppings
Swap the standard refined-sugar caramel sauce for a healthier homemade date caramel, made with just four ingredients – dates, sea salt, water and coconut cream. Juicy medjool dates are naturally sweet and make a delicious caramel sauce that’s vegan-friendly, too. If you can only get your hands on regular dates, soak them in hot water for an hour before making the sauce.
You can make this with the whole family and kids will love experimenting with toppings. We’ve gone for toasted coconut chips, dried cranberries, dark chocolate & hazelnuts, and crunchy popcorn as healthier alternatives. Do you have any favourite toffee apple toppings?
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tsp sea salt, optional
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- Braeburn or Granny Smith apples
- Toasted coconut chips
- Dried cranberries
- 85% dark chocolate mixed with chopped hazelnuts
- Bamboo cocktail skewers
- In a food processor, blend together the dates, water, sea salt and coconut cream until smooth. If using dried dates, soak them in hot water for an hour before blending.
- Core the apples and cut them into thick slices. To prevent the apples from browning, cut each apple only as it’s needed.
- Push a skewer into the bottom of each apple slice. Dip the slices into the date caramel and then into your desired topping. Repeat until all the caramel sauce and apples have been used up, then serve immediately.
Looking for more foodie inspiration? Check out our rainbow hummus four ways.