To celebrate World Vegan Month, we’re dressing up our favourite green fruit with a recipe for healthy avocado fries
Whether you’re already flying the vegan flag or just want to try a tasty vegan treat, these crispy avocado fries made with panko breadcrumbs and spices are the perfect go-to snack.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 large avocados, peeled, pitted and sliced
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp flax meal
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- Calorie-controlled cooking spray
- Tomato salsa, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/gas mark 4. Line a baking tray with baking parchment and keep it ready.
- Place the sliced avocados in a bowl. Add the lime juice and stir gently. Place the flour in another bowl and stir in the salt and pepper.
- Place the flax meal in a third bowl, then add ½ cup water and stir well. Allow this mixture to rest for 5 minutes and stir again. It will turn gooey and resemble the texture of a beaten egg. If it becomes too thick, add a little water to loosen it.
- Place the panko breadcrumbs in another bowl. Stir in the onion powder and smoked paprika.
- Dip the avocado slices in the flour, then the flax meal mixture and finally the panko breadcrumbs. Line up the slices on the baking tray, leaving a 2-inch gap between each, and lightly mist with the cooking spray.
- Bake the avocado slices for 20 minutes until golden brown and serve warm with the tomato salsa.
Visit the World Vegan Month site for more information.
Looking for more foodie inspiration? Check out the Happy Pear’s meat-free halloumi burger.