This colourful chicken coconut curry will give you a boost with uplifting spices such as turmeric and ginger, plus coconut and almond flakes for added punch.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 15g ginger root, peeled
- 30g coriander, stalks and leaves chopped
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 6 cardamom pods, seeds only
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 chicken breast fillets, chopped into 2cm pieces
- 400ml coconut milk
- 160ml coconut cream
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 2 pinches almond flakes, toasted
- 2 pinches coconut flakes, toasted
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger root, coriander, coriander seeds, cumin, turmeric, cardamom seeds and 1 tbsp coconut oil to a food processor. Season with sea salt and black pepper and blitz into a rough paste.
- Transfer the paste into a large non-stick pan over a medium heat and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Add the chicken pieces and remaining coconut oil. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, half the coconut cream (stirring to loosen, if required) and stock cube to the pan. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a low simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked, turn the heat off and add the lime zest and juice. Drizzle over the remaining coconut cream and scatter with the toasted almonds and coconut flakes to serve.
Chef’s tip: Serve this curry with a mix of quinoa and brown rice to boost your intake of wholegrains. Quinoa is also a complete protein, which means it contains all nine of the amino acids that the body can’t produce on its own.