“Quick and simple – it is healthy, colourful and tasty – combining raw vegetable and cheese” – Bryn Williams
- 100g walnuts
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 100ml walnut oil
- 1 red onion
- 2 courgettes
- 2 yellow courgettes
- 4 baby gem lettuces
- 100g Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/gas mark 3.
- To begin, place the walnuts on a baking tray and bake for 6 minutes, until nicely toasted. Place the walnuts in a bowl, season with salt and pepper, and add the lemon juice and the walnut oil to create a dressing. Set aside.
- Cut the onion in quarters, then cut into fine slices. Slice the courgettes into ribbons using a mandoline or vegetable peeler and place on a tray. Season with some of the walnut dressing.
- Wash the baby gems, then pull the leaves away from the cores. Place them in large bowl and season with some more of the dressing.
- To assemble the salad, place three of the largest lettuce leaves in the centre of each plate in a triangular shape. Scatter one third of the sliced courgettes, onions and walnuts on the lettuce, then grate over a little fresh Parmesan.
- Repeat this process twice more to create three layers in total. Finish with the rest of the dressing and a little more grated Parmesan.
Recipe by Bryn Williams, courtesy of greatbritishchefs.com